Monday, November 05, 2007

 

Knocking on the Doors of NUS Graduate School

Today I sent my application for my PhD in Singapore. I figured out that "Double D" is not quite enough, so now I want to upgrade to "Triple D" :) I applied to the NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering.

Doing a PhD in Singapore is quite different from doing a PhD at a German university. The Singapore way is basically the same as in the US, you are a still a student (PhD student but still student), still take courses during the first year, sit for exams, etc. while you are doing your research.
Then after about one year you have to pass a Qualifying exam, if you fail that you can only receive a Master, but no PhD any longer.

In Germany you would usually start working as part of the staff of a Professor. You would NOT be considered a student anymore, but a "Mitarbeiter", do the normal work at the institute, maybe do some teaching, and write your dissertation.

Of course you cannot forget that in Germany you would already have a Diploma or Master while in Singapore it would usually be a Bachelor only.

The next 4-5 days I will impatiently sitting in front of the computer and check the letter status on http://www.deutschepost.de every few hours. (I had some bad experience with the Deutsche Post recently) till I can be sure it reached Singapore safely.

Everyone send good vibes for my application!

Labels: , ,


Comments:
GOOD VIBES!!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD VIBES
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?